United Methodist Women
United Methodist Women (UMW) is a community of women who nurture and encourage one another in their spiritual growth, personal leadership and transformation.
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is:
- To know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ.
- To develop a creative supportive fellowship.
- To expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
Over a million women get involved in helping to support many worthy programs and projects related to women, children and youth.
A Community of Women
United Methodist Women strives to follow Christ’s teachings to do acts of love, justice, mercy and faith, and to serve one another on an equal basis. A community emerges through worship, sharing, praying, studying, working and serving. United Methodist Women explores ways to meet the needs of the members in our 140- year-old organization with 800,000 members.
United Methodist Women members strive through Bible studies, retreats and inspirational events to know God, and experience freedom through Jesus Christ.
We each seek to find our own way to walk with God and search within ourselves for spiritual growth and understanding.
A Creative & Supportive Community
Through leadership development our organization is a creative and supportive community by directing its members in a cohesive and coherent way to accomplish our goals and fulfill our Purpose.
The United Methodist Church’s connectional system, ecumenical connections, and solidarity with groups that work with women, children and youth in the global community enlarge the United Methodist Women creative and supportive community.
Education & Transformation through Programs
We expand our concept of our mission by working diligently on:
- Mission Education
- Social Action/Advocacy
- Many Programs and Ministries
- Funding the Mission
Our entire program focuses on mission.
Our mission initiatives include:
- Providing opportunities to grow spiritually
- Equipping women & girls to be leaders
- Providing transformative educational experiences
- Organizing for growth & flexibility
- Working for justice through service and advocacy